Due to further organizational development, Representative office of the Swiss pharmaceutical company Novartis Pharma Services in Kazakhstan announces recruitment for the position “Legal and Compliance Head KZ & Emerging Markets”.
To act as a full participating member of the KZ & EM leadership teams. To be the legal Business Partner to the Head of KZ & EM. To counsel senior leadership on complex and sensitive legal and business issues. To provide legal leadership on issues within the countries he/she is responsible for through pro-active, in-depth, business-focused advice and counsel. To identify legal framework developments within KZ and EM. To provide strategic and legal advice in (and for ensuring the legal sufficiency of) all matters that are relevant to business in KZ & EM.
Responsible for the overall compliance function within the KZ & EM:
- strategically partners with the business to establish a culture of integrity by driving a robust compliance program with business leaders to achieve success;
- implements a sustainable, vibrant and effective compliance program / infrastructure in alignment with country, divisional and global guidelines;
- acts as a leader within a countries, instituting various programs & initiatives that positively impact the business, associates, customers and patients.
As Legal Head
Including but not limited to:
- Contributes to and influences the business strategy for KZ & EM and decision-making process;
- Represents the local organization to outside stakeholders, in particular the government and industry associations.
- Directly handles legal issues related to business development, litigation, corporate governance, etc.
- Interacts with KZ & EM functions as a key Business Partner.
- Leads and is responsible for key legal processes; for example on negotiating contracts, managing litigation, advertising and promotional review, regulatory and compliance.
- Anticipates and counsels concerning (mitigate) major legal, compliance and reputational risks to the business.
- Limits litigation risk exposure, including risk derived from clinical issues and employee relations, working closely with executives across the local organization, iCEE, Regional and Global units.
- Manages local outside counsel panels.
- Works in close cooperation with NPhS Legal function.
- Supports Management regarding disciplinary measures of misconduct in regard to Speak Up (former BPO) process.
- Sets priorities, assuring quality and consistency of legal advice.
As Compliance Head
• Establish compliance standards based on internal policies and guidelines / implementing procedures (CoC, “SpeakUp Office (former BPO)”, Anti-Bribery [AB] and P3) and on applicable local laws and regulations incl. industry code, where applicable. Align KZ & EM standards with global minimal standards and ensure that in all cases the most stringent is applied.
- Establish processes and local SOPs for relevant policies. Support the local business-owned implementation of policies, guidelines, SOPs, processes and initiatives.
• Establish an annual local training plan for CoC, “SpeakUp Office (former BPO)”, AB, CoI, P3 (and ensure on-boarding and annual refreshers on compliance standards and business practices are conducted)
• Regularly monitor the completion of (e)-training courses and (e)-certification of CoC, and take appropriate action to ensure the agreed completion target for (e)-training (95%) and (e)-certification of CoC (100%) are met. Ensure system for documenting and evidencing training completion is followed.
• Conducts regular internal different ethics related trainings and consults daily associates about compliance and integrity matters.
• Champion speak-up, transparency and a culture of integrity throughout the organization
• Actively involve KZ & EM leadership to leverage integrity messages and to maintain high level of awareness (Tone from the Top)
• Continually provide advice and guidance to the business on ethics topics and challenges (including on the required approval processes)
• Together with the relevant members of the management team in KZ & EM foster ethical behavior by ensuring compliance criteria are included in objectives / incentive process
• Advise KZ & EM management on ethics related topics and compliance aspects of major initiatives
- Collaborate and closely partner with business leadership to lead the compliance risk management process. Identify and manage risks in a manner that drives the business forward to best serve patients & customers
- Engage leaders to continually monitor the effectiveness of the compliance program including cultural drivers of integrity.
• Regularly update KZ & EM leadership and cluster/regional/global compliance (of respective division) on the status of the compliance program
• Involvement in the process to conduct third-party due diligence together with relevant functions
• Inform KZ & EM management of areas which represent a material compliance or reputation risk.
• If possible and as requested, support or conduct investigations of alleged misconduct based on allocation of responsibility by “SpeakUp Office (former BPO)”.
• Support KZ & EM management in proposing and implementing sanctions relating to “SpeakUp Office (former BPO)” cases for consistency of sanctions throughout KZ & EM (“SpeakUp Office (former BPO)” resolution process)
- Following the closing of investigation by “SpeakUp Office (former BPO)”, identify and support implementation of corrective actions to prevent recurrence of misconduct in consultation with Global Division Compliance Head and KZ & EM Management.
- Education: University degree
- Languages: Fluent English, Russian, other language is a plus
- Extensive experience in legal practice (> 10 years)
- Preferably significant (> 3 years) experience in legal practice related to a strictly regulated industry
- Experience in Compliance (> 2 years) would be an advantage
- Proven ability to proactively provide insightful and timely legal support to stakeholders across a functionally and geographically-dispersed organization
- Extensive/specialized experience of Senior management interaction.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Persuasive negotiator
- Strong leadership skills
- Sound experience in managing litigations
- Strong knowledge of compliance issues Capacity to serve as a role model
- Experience in project and process management;
- Experience influencing leaders at all levels
- Experience collaborating at multiple levels
- Experience working through change
- Appropriate experiences in a regulated & complex business environment
- Sound functional and technical capabilities
Compensation & benefits package:
Competitive salary based on market benchmark, medical insurance, corporate car and set fuel / phone limits, meal and car wash allowances, attractive annual bonus based on the company incentive policy; professional development opportunities within Novartis group of companies.
927 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2017. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives.
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks. And where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.